March 4, 2009

Broken Elbow

I just learned how to email the pictures on my phone to myself. I know, keep the comments to yourself! :)

I was looking through some old pics and found some from when I broke my elbow. I figured this warranted a blog post! Here's the story.

It was the summer of 2008. I was still living in Phoenix at the time. I flew to SLC for my friends bridal shower over the weekend and for an interview that Monday.

I stayed with Marc at his boss's house for the whole trip. Monday morning, I packed my luggage and got ready for the interview. I had one hour before I had to be downtown which was perfect because I had to stop by Kinko's to copy my resume.

Marc headed outside to load the truck with my luggage and I started to head down the stairs. I was all dressed up in a skirt and heels and had my arms full with my portfolio, purse and a bag. As I made my way down the wooden stairs, my feet came right out from under me. I fell backwards and caught myself with my elbows as I continued to slide down to the bottom of the stairs. I couldn't move.

Marc heard the ruckus from outside and came running to my rescue.(holding back the laughter, which I appreciated)He had to pick me up, carry me upstairs and lay me down on the bed. I couldn't move either of my arms. The pain felt like when you hit your funny bone, X100. Marc grabbed two ice packs and placed them on my elbows. After 10 min it still hurt, but I could move my right arm. He told me that if I don't leave now I will miss my interview. Well, I wasn't going to let that happen.

I sat up and layed back down. My head was spinning. (apparently I had a concussion)But I was determined to make it to the interview! So I got up and made my way to the stairs, again. I looked down at the landing and noticed all of my stuff scattered, like a game of pick-up. I couldn't help but laugh. It was pretty funny. Marc agreed!

Marc dropped me off at the interview, however, I could still not move my left arm. And I was in pain. While presenting the work in the portfolio, I needed help unzipping the binder and flipping pages. It was kind of embarrassing!

Long story short, I didn't have time to go to the Dr. so I jumped on the plane, flew to Phoenix and went to the Dr. that night. It was broken. I wore a sling for a few days and then made my way to an Orthopedic who told me the best way for it to heal was to move it. I would have rather had a full arm cast!

The next few weeks consisted of pain meds and a lot of cussing. Needless to say, I got the job!


This is the picture I sent Marc once I left the Dr. office in Phoenix.




]
Don't mind my hair. Let me add that is was incredibly hard to get ready in the morning with one arm!

3 comments:

Candace said...

stairs are trecherous and I can speak from experience. At least you got some awesome pictures of your battle wounds! Well done!

Shanda said...

That is terrible! It funny you can look back no and laugh about it. Im glad you got the job though!! Hey next time your up this way call me and well have to get together. Or if we go down to SLC I will call you!!

Adam and Brittany said...

Ouch!! You are such a trooper. I probably would have thrown a pitty party and called to reschedule the interview. That is a nasty bruise!