August 16, 2010

Oh Deer!

Two weeks ago I was driving home from Ogden after enjoying a nice evening with my girlfriends. I was close to home, on Redwood Road in Woodscross, when a deer ran into me. Yes, a deer. Yes, it ran into me. I was driving around 50 mph when all of a sudden, I see its face right in front of mine. Before I knew it, it was all over. The deer was behind me and I was screaming driving down the road. I pulled over, called Marc and he immediately came to see me.

I called the police and they were there in no time. Must have been a slow night. Since I drove a few feet after I hit it, I didn't see the deer on the road, thank goodness. The police had to shoot it, twice, which was so traumatic. Many of you know, I'm a huge animal lover and was so upset that I killed it.

The police told me it was a 4 point buck with a huge spread on top and that I was very lucky it didn't go through my windshield. I can't even imagine what could have happened to me if it did.

The corolla was totaled and I had to start looking into buying a car. Luckily I had full coverage on my insurance and would get money back from the car. I have been so lucky to always get my mom's hand me downs when it comes to cars, so I never had to make a car payment!

So after a week of dealing with awful car dealers, I ended up with a mazda3 hatchback. I LOVE it! I was able to get a good deal and I don't have to make a payment for 90 days, so that is helpful!

I still can't drive down that road and I have a hard time driving at night. I am so paranoid now! This was such a scary experience, I hope I never encounter a deer on the road again!

2 comments:

Candace said...

BAH!! I'm so glad you weren't hurt! I'm also sad that they had to shoot the deer (and he didn't just die quickly from the impact). That is my worst fear: hitting any sort of animal. But congratulations on the new car!

Shannon Williams Olsen said...

OMG! I can't believe you hit a deer... well a deer hit you but still! How scary! But a new car is a plus :)