January 22, 2009

Conflicted

The past few days have been extremely stressful for me. I am looking to buy a townhome in the Salt Lake area. After hours upon hours of looking online, I came across a brand new development in the North Salt Lake area called Foxborrow. Everything about it is perfect. It is in my price range, is brand new, beautiful, big backyard, laundry room, 2 bedrooms and 2.5 bath. What more could you ask for right?

Well, I started researching the area and came to find out that not only is it next to the refineries, but it is located next to a plant called Stericycle. This plant burns hazardous medical waste for all of the surrounding states including UT. I have been reading tons of articles, emailing and talking to people who include the Mayor of North Salt Lake, the Sierra Club, people who are currently living in the area, people who considered living in the area and environmentalist. Half of the people say it is fine and they wouldn't worry about it, while the other half say they would never live there and people who have kids or are in child bearing years should not live there.

Another thing I have been thinking about and talking to others about is the fact that if it is so dangerous for those living within 3 miles from the plants then it is dangerous for those living in Salt Lake, which is 5 miles away. So honestly, everyone in the surrounding areas are prone to the pollution and toxins as well.

So now I have literally stressed my self out beyond belief, because I have until Tuesday to make my decision. I have put a hold on the house but it is only good until Tuesday. I am driving around with a realtor all day Sat and Sun to check out other options. What is frustrating is that so far I have not seen anything that is as great as the townhome in N Salt Lake.

Do any of you know anyone who lives in North Salt Lake? I am all for everyones opinion on the situation. :)

3 comments:

Jeana said...

Hey Meg,
My dad actually lives in the foxborro development. He has really bad asthma, but is only affected on days when the air quality is poor all around the area. Other days he is just fine to go outside, even with the refineries. When we go to see him we don't ever really smell them either. The only other problem they have had in that area was the soil in their yard. His health isn't the greatest so he couldn't spend tons of time working on the yard and ended up having to have a rock yard pretty much, but others in the areas yards are just fine if they have the time to care for it.

Candace said...

I have three co-workers who live in Fox Borrough and they love it. One of them is new to the area, but the other two have been there for a while. They said that the pollution is no more noticable there than the rest of the valley.
I hope that helps! Good luck!

Kelly Jean said...

Ah, I hate making big decisions like that. It's definitely stressful. Kind of all of Salt Lake has crappy air, so I don't know if it'd be much worse living there. But, hmm, who knows. Good luck!!